BUILDINGS ON BELLE HILL (PART 1)
BELCLARE and WAYSIDE
These two properties were for a time, one single from the 1970’s when the local Vet had his practice in Wayside and the waiting room on the left hand side of Belclare. The land on which they stand was once the location of the old Windmill. This had gone by 1673 and the Manor rental mentions the plot (and with it a previous structure) as Windmill Place.
In 1770, the plot was bought from the Manor by Richard Goodwin. He started to build the larger of the two structures at this time, although it was originally call Mill Bank and not Belclare. The property stayed in his family until 1798, when Goodwin’s grandson, Samuel Richardson surrendered the property to John Prior.
John Prior added Wayside in 1809 as a service cottage to Mill Bank. When both buildings were sold to Richard Day 30 years later (for a sum of £500) they were added to his Linkwell estate. Wayside became the main residence for the coachman who presided over the adjacent coach house and stables (now Heriot Lodge).
By 1902, the main residence had become known as Belclare, and it was around this time that the property was passed down to Miss M Day, most likely Richard’s daughter.
Later maps show a much larger building, and so it seems it was expanded or rebuilt in 1839 when Richard Day bought Rosier’s and built Linkwell on the original site.
Called the Lodge, this enlarged dwelling provided accommodation for the Estate workers and for the Head Gardener. The original Linkwell drive passed along the south side of the lodge, before coming out onto Belle Hill in between the building and Heriot Lodge, where a new development has recently been added.
In 1925 the property was passed to Comm. John Leonard Cather (a relative of the Day family) and henceforth known as Upmeads. He remained at the property until 1966.
The plot was separated from the Linkwell estate and sold off in 1927 and from that point on it was known as Heriot Lodge.
The term ‘Heriot’ refers to an ancient saxon feudal duty paid to the Lord of the Manor on the death of one of his tenants. Payment would normally be the best horse, and so a fitting title bearing in mind the property’s origins.
Built in 1794 by William Russell it was part of Russell’s Farm. Originally a Georgian Yeoman’s Farm House it was extended in the Victorian period disguising its Georgian origins.