BUILDINGS ON DE LA WARR ROAD
3, 5 and 7 DE LA WARR ROAD (SEAVIEW)
The semi-detached houses and adjacent cottage are listed here together, as they were built by Thomas Pumphrey, the riding officer for the area, in 1792. The Pumphrey family lived in one of the two houses, while the small cottage was built as the coach house, with accommodation built over the stables for the coachman.
Thomas Pumphrey’s, daughter Mary Ann, married Captain Phillip Holtzermann of the Kings German Legion in 1812. He was killed on the battlefield of Waterloo in 1815.
9 DE LA WARR ROAD (TOAD HALL)
The house became known as Alma Cottage before being renamed Toad Hall.
13 DE LA WARR ROAD (THE PHARMACY)
Early in the 1990’s, a new doctors surgery was built at the rear, and the cottage became a chemist. Originally called Park Cottage it was owned by the Rogers Family at the beginning of the 19th Century. By 1873 it had been renamed Eton Cottage.
The addition of the porch has been dated to 1807 and the bay windows in 1910.