BUILDINGS ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE HIGH STREET (PART 1)
BANK HOUSE (ABOVE)
It was used as the doctors surgery (w/ Dr Savill, Stokes, Dunhill, Andrews & Reid and Miss Pallister acting as acting nurse) from 1902. The practice moved in 1950 to Castle Cottage, No. 12 high street.
8-10 High Street was a general store. There is a quarterly account for March 1808 paid on 4 April 1808. Customer – Mrs Brook.
‘Thomas Wedd had the house, land and shop Fuggles. In 1806, James Fuggles held house, shop and yard opposite Rosiers nb. No.30 1806 map ie. Duke of Dorset’s map.’
Sold as two lots to Thomas Christian in 1817 it was listed as a grocers and drapers with a wash house, 5 sleeping rooms (lot 1) and a dwelling house of two tenements and garden (lot 2). Lot 2 is most likely the premises to the rear of the Lodge (now 8a).
TRAFALGAR HOUSE (LEFT)
Trafalgar House is currently the offices of the Old Town Preservation Society. It was built during the 18th Century and until the 1970’s was part of a single larger property that contained Granville Lodge.
The 1881 census has the property listed as being inhabited by William Pettit, a coal merchant, and his wife Elizabeth. The property was passed down to Williams two daughters Grace and Agnes.
In the 1940’s Trafalgar House was the home to Proctor Bros landscape gardeners, and the 1960’s saw property being used as a pet store, first by H T Norris and then P S Agar.
However, the let was unsuccessful and the property was sold later that as two lots.
Granville Lodge was bought at this time by Thomas Webb and quickly became a grocer and draper. By 1881 it was owned by Edward & Sarah Barnard until at least 1917 and listed as tailor and dressmaker.
1948 – 1970 saw the Lodge become a fruitier, with the lease passing through the hands of at least 6 occupiers.
Image of Granville Lodge below.