BUILDINGS ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE HIGH STREET
By 1913 it had become a store, with a modern shop front: first as a Florist and Fruitier (owned by Henry Jenner), then as a Page and Cross photo- graphers (1934-1939), a House furnisher (1948), Cycle Dealer (1950) wool dealer (1956) and finally a drapers in 1960.
NO.3-5 HIGH STREET (RIGHT)
Originally 2 properties, No 3 was recorded as a dwelling in 1839, but by 1887 it had become a watchmakers and jewellers. It remained so until 1966 (the jewellers was called Shindlers between 1893 and 1939), and after two years vacant became clifford Antiques until the later half of the 1970’s.
No 5 was recorded as a radio, electrical and TV store (Bexelectric) from 1956 till sometime after 1966 (owned by Bernard Muzzell).
Rosiers was purchased by Richard Day, an architect from Hastings (though originally from Hadlow Down near Heathfield).
The new house, Linkwell, was built on the site in 1833 using bricks from local brickyard at Levetts Wood, Sidley. A diary of Stephen Thomas dated the same year, and held at the Bexhill Museum, records taking 16,000 bricks up to Mr Day over a four day period to build the house.
One side of the house is lower and older than the main building and may be part of the old Rosiers property. The Linkwell Estate originally included a Lodge (Upmeads) and a coach house and stables (Heriot Lodge). Linkwell is still in the ownership of the descendants of Richard Day.