BUILDINGS ON CHURCH STREET
NO.1 CHURCH STREET & JUBILEE CLOCK
For many years, No.1 Church Street used to be the warehouse and shop for Cave Austin’s grocers, before becoming an Antiques Centre, and more recently the heath and beauty spa ‘Quakersmill.’
The Clock was put up on the 20th June 1887, to mark the Golden Jubilee of the reign of Queen Victoria. There was a very bad fire in the early hours of the morning of 20th June 1908, which badly damaged the warehouse and the neighbouring doctor’s surgery.
The clock was also damaged and the works fell to the ground. The casing was not too badly damaged and the clock was given new workings and restored to its original state.
Wealden House was built in the 14th Century. As the name suggests it is a traditional timber framed ‘Wealden hall house’ and would of originally had an overhang onto the street. These were typically built for local Yeomen. Along with Rimswell Cottage, this is the oldest surviving residential building in the old town.
Lychgates a modern name owing to the closeness of St Peter’s Church Lych Gate. The cottage opposite the graveyard was used as a beer shop in the 1830’s, and more recently a small restaurant of the same name.
This is another medieval timber ‘Hall House.’ It retains some of the wattle and daub walls and many of the old beams have carpenters marks, suggesting it’s medieval origins. There is a cellar, a well and the opening to a tunnel (most likely used by smugglers). In the 16th Century the building was occupied by William Cramp, a church warden. At the time it was known as ‘Blabers,’ a title that was possibly related to the family name of the smithy who who had worked there in years past.
By 1806 ownership of the house had been granted to Tom Griffiths, who then leased it to a Mr Diplock. Another notable tenant was Dorothy Lansdell, daughter of Ann and Isaac. It is believed that during her time at the cottage, the adjoining barn was converted into the three small cottages that exist today.